Monday, November 17, 2008
No Update on Mr Buck
I just plain havent had time to work on him. Once again, I have a sick dog. Saturday night after Mike and Jess left, I noticed Maddux was walking stiff legged again. That is not a good sign. Took his temperature and it was 104.1. Not horrible, but not normal either. So I pulled out the new wonder drug I got from the vet and gave him a double dose of it as I was instructed. Waited 45 min, took the temp again 105.6. It should not have risen after a double dose of the new med. SO, off we go to bed, out come the cold wet towels, 1 for him to lay on, 2 rolled up to put in his groin area, 1 rolled up to put in his arm pit area, 2 over his entire body. I also turned the fan on him. When Maddux is sick he wants to practically lay on top of me, so I am soaking wet with a fan on me too freezing my butt off! Anyway, we lay like that for another 45 min, take his temp 106.8. Now i am freaking out. this is the danger zone. I start to cry, like thats going to do any good. I am rotating the towels and re-wetting them every 15 minutes. By this time is 2am and I cant get the darn fever to break. SO, I call my poor vet at home. He tells me to give him 100 mg of rimadyl. I do and retake his temp 1/2 hour later. 105.6. Better. We continue to do the wet towels for another hour. Finally at 4am he is 104.9 and sleeping. I am not sleeping. In fact, I didnt sleep all night. I was watching him, crying and worried beyond belief. Yesterday he was ok. Ran a fever all day but nothing above 104.5. During the night last night, I was petting him and checking his belly to see if he was burning up and felt something weird. Turned on the light grabbed my flashlight and looked at him. To make a long story short, he has about 20 blisters full of infection, its that darn strep infection again (the same one that causes flesh eating virus) another middle of the night call to the vet, wake hubby up to go to Walgreens (thank god for them being open 24 hours) and Maddux is now on 1000mg of Cephalexin 2 times a day for 2 weeks. I feel so bad for him and am so worried about him and how many times his poor body can go through this. I am just hoping he can remain strong and get through this again. Wish us luck!